A 4-year-old Washington boy has died after going in for what was supposed to be a routine dental procedure.
Thmeka Curry is simply in shock after the sudden death of her 4-year-old son Mykel.
"He wouldn't keep his mouth open so they can actually see what's going on", said Thmeka Curry, Mykel's mother. Curry said she took her pre-schooler to the Must Love Kids dental practice in Vancouver for planned tooth surgery - a place they had been to before. The practice also uses a board-certified anesthesiologist.
The drug put him totally under while the dentist looked at whether he needed fillings or a crown for a cavity.
But in the recovery room, Mykel wasn't waking up and one of the employees noticed he stopped breathing. The mother said her son was given an extra dose of anesthesia to ensure that he did not wake up during the dental procedure. "He's had it done before so it wasn't anything I was afraid of at that point", she said.
Specialists started administering CPR, and paramedics were called to the office.
The Washington State Department of Health is reviewing a complaint related to the boy's death, but there is no word on how long that could take. FOX News reports that a toxicology report will not be available for up to eight weeks. "I just need to know what happened so I can have that closure for my son", Curry tells KATU. She adds that she can not have closure until she knows why Mykel died. The Clark County Medical Examiner said determining the cause of death is pending.
Meanwhile, Must Love Kids Pediatric Dentistry has not released a comment regarding the matter, except for an official statement saying that the institution hires highly qualified and certified anesthesologists who have performed more than 1,900 procedures involving anesthesia and deep sedation in the last three and a half years. Mykel was remembered as "happy, loving, energetic, and smart" on a GoFundMe page set up for his family. He loved holidays and family gatherings and that he was loved by everyone whose life he touched.