Jueves, 23 Marcha, 2017

Woman poisoned by San Francisco herbal tea, dies

Cris De Lacerda | 21 Marcha, 2017, 00:51

A San Francisco woman who fell critically ill after drinking tea from a Chinatown herbalist has died. The second victim is said to be a man in his 30s who remains hospitalized after developing weakness and a life-threatening abnormal heart rhythm.

Yu-Ping Xie of San Francisco died at California Pacific Medical Center's Pacific Campus on Saturday, officials said.

Another man in his 30s also consumed the tea and was sickened. He became critically ill and was hospitalized. They bought different blends of medicinal teas with several ingredients. The teas had several ingredients, and the ingredients that were common to both tea mixtures are now being tested, authorities said. For now, all the tea's ingredients have been removed from the store's shelves.

Aconite is a wild plant and extremely toxic, according to the Journal of Clinical Toxicology.

Aconite is also known as monkswood, helmet flower and wolfsbane, according to NBC Bay Area.

While aconite has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years, its flowers are highly toxic, the Chronicle said.

The toxin attacks the heart and can be lethal, Dr. Tomás Aragón, health officer for the city and county of San Francisco, said in a written statement.

Their is no antidote for aconite poisoning.

The shop's owner is cooperating fully with health department officials as they investigate the poisonings.

Sadly, the story from ten days ago about the two people who were recently sickened after drinking tea purchased from a Chinatown herbalist has taken a tragic turn. "Something went wrong in this case".

It is unclear how the poisonous plant got mixed up with the tea leaves, Kagan said.