Sábado, 21 Julio, 2018

North Korea gears up to celebrate birthday of country's founder

Manuel Armenta | 15 Abril, 2017, 18:00

China, North Korea's sole major ally and neighbour which nevertheless opposes its weapons programme, on Friday again called for talks to defuse the crisis.

"Therefore, we call upon all the parties, no matter verbally or in action, to stop provoking and threatening each other and not to allow the situation to become irretrievable and out of control", Wang said.

The president also tweeted that if China does not do its part to rein in Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions, the USA can handle it.

A female battalion of North Korean soldiers marches during the Day of the Sun festivities in North Korea.

And the North Korean army threatened to annihilate us military bases in South Korea and the presidential palace in Seoul in response to what it called Trump's "maniacal military provocations".

All eyes are on the Trump administration's plans for North Korea, with concern growing since last week's U.S. missile strike in Syria, in response to a deadly gas attack.

In his annual New Year's address, Kim said that North Korea's preparations for an ICBM launch have "reached the final stage".

"We've got a powerful nuclear deterrent already in our hands, and we certainly will not keep our arms crossed in the face of a USA pre-emptive strike", Han told AP.

Also Friday, North Korea's vice foreign minister told The Associated Press in an exclusive interview that Trump's tweets - he recently tweeted, for example, that the North is "looking for trouble" - have inflamed tensions.

"The leadership in North Korea has shown absolutely no sign or interest in diplomacy or dialogue with any of the countries involved in this issue", Victor Cha, the Korea Chair at the Center for Strategic and International Studies told NBC News. That raised questions about US President Donald Trump's plans for North Korea, which has conducted several missiles and nuclear tests in defiance of United Nations and unilateral sanctions.

North Korea's vice foreign minister said that Trump was "becoming more vicious and more aggressive" than previous presidents, which was only making matters worse.

North Korea's vice foreign minister says, "We will go to war" if the USA chooses to provoke it. There's also anger in Pyongyang over the annual spring military exercises that the USA holds with South Korea.

It's since conducted a number of shorter-range missile tests - some of which landed in the sea, less than 200 miles off the Japanese coast.

"Trump is always making provocations with his aggressive words", Mr Han said.

Vice President Mike Pence planned to travel to South Korea Sunday to discuss the situation.

North Korea's vice foreign minister says it will conduct its next nuclear test whenever its supreme headquarters sees fit.

"Our toughest counteraction against the U.S. and its vassal forces will be taken in such a merciless manner as not to allow the aggressors to survive", North Korea's official KCNA news agency quoted its military as saying in a statement on Friday. "We've got a powerful nuclear deterrent already in our hands and we certainly will not keep our arms crossed in the face of a USA pre-emptive strike".

"So that's why. It's not the (North Korea) but the USA and Trump that makes trouble".

Among the hardware on display appeared to be new intercontinental and submarine-launched ballistic missiles.

It is believed that the new missiles on display are in response to the USS Carl Vinson-led carrier strike group that has been ordered to the region.

A North Korean man looks at a model of the Unha 3 space launch vehicle displayed at the Mangyongdae Children's Palace on Friday, April 14, 2017, in Pyongyang, North Korea.