Martes, 20 Noviembre, 2018

Champs-Elysees gunman was detained in February for threatening police

Police Officer Killed In Paris Shooting Survived The City's 2015 Bataclan Terror Attack Paris shooting investigation continues
Eleena Tovar | 22 Abril, 2017, 10:14

At 21:00 GMT on Thursday night a man pulled his vehicle alongside a bus transporting French police on the heavily-transited Champs-Elysees in Paris, opening fire with an automatic weapon and killing one of the officers.

In addition to the assault rifle used in the attack, a pump action shotgun and knives were in his auto, the police sources said.

The Islamic State identified him as Abu Yusuf al-Beljiki (father of Yusuf the Belgian) through its Amaq news agency.

Police have now launched a desperate manhunt for a second suspect after heavily armed officers flooded the area in the heart of the French capital.

Mr Molins said Cheurfi had been detained by police in February for threatening police officers but had been freed due to lack of evidence.

The suspect had "deliberately targeted" police officer, Brandet said.

Witness Ogur Yilmaz told Eleanor he was leaving a cafe when he heard "two or three shots" and saw people fleeing.

The Champs Elysees, busy with tourists and locals on a pleasant spring evening, became a scene of panic.

The French interior ministry said it was too early to tell what the motive was for the attack in the Champs-Elysees but President Francois Hollande said he was convinced it was a terrorist attack.‌.

"My foreign policy [if elected president] would be focused on the destruction of Islamic State [IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL], I would propose an initiative to build an worldwide coalition", Fillon said.

A suspect sought by France in the wake of an attack in Paris last night, which left one policeman dead and two injured, has turned himself in to Belgian police, France's interior ministry said this morning.

Paris prosecutor François Molins said shortly after the shootings that "the attacker's identity is known and has been verified".

Islamic State's claim of responsibility came just a few hours after the attack - far more quickly than other similar claims - and the statement gave the attacker a pseudonym that would mean he was Belgian or had ties to Belgium. Candidates canceled or rescheduled final campaign events ahead of Sunday's first-round vote in the two-stage election.

The government will also be hoping that this latest event will not damage the country's tourism industry as badly as the coordinated terrorist attacks on Paris did in November 2015 - and the subsequent Nice attack in July 2016. In July, an attacker in Nice drove a truck into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day, killing more than 80 people and injuring hundreds before he was fatally shot by police.