Sábado, 23 Febrero, 2019

Jury Sides With Petco in Death of Boy From Rat-Bite Fever

Trial Concerning Deadly Rat Bite Fever Set to Begin in San Diego Trial Concerning Deadly Rat Bite Fever Set to Begin in San Diego
Cris De Lacerda | 22 Abril, 2017, 00:59

The pet rat was purchased at a Petco store in San Diego back in 2013.

Sharon Pankey, Aidan's grandmother, said in an interview with reporters following the ruling by the San Diego jury, that she wanted "to warn the public of the dangers of owning a rat". The verdicts were read Thursday morning in Judge Eddie Sturgeon's courtroom.

The San Diego County jury found that Petco was not negligent when it sold the pet rat, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

In late February 2014, Aiden's father, Andrew Pankey, filed a lawsuit against Petco.

A short time prior to Aiden's death, the boy's family had purchased a pet rat from a Petco store in Carmel Ranch.

Only two weeks after purchasing the animal from the pet chain, Aidan grew gravely ill and two days after showing flu-like symptoms, he died.

Penicillin is used to treat the illness, but the infection can be fatal if left untreated, such as Aidan Pankey case.

According to CBS News, the scientific term for rat bite fever is "streptobacillus moniliformis infection".

There is no evidence that Aidan was actually bitten by Alex the rat, one of two rodents he kept as pets.

According to the CDC, people can contract rat-bite fever from bites or scratches from infected rodents, such as rats, mice and gerbils, or even just by handling an animal with the disease without a bite or scratch.

10-year-old Aidan Pankey contracted rat-bite fever after he was exposed to the infected rat.

"They (Petco) warn about it because they know they can't get rid of it", Oberrecht told the jury.

A lawyer for Petco argued that those numbers were inflated and that the plaintiff's lawyers were ignoring the fact that the bacteria that causes rat bite fever can not be bred out of the animals.

Petco attorney Kimberly Oberrecht told the jury that Petco was a leader in developing a test to see if a rat carried RBF. Consumers are not supposed to put a rat in their face or share food with a rat, the Petco attorney said.

"They did what they could to prevent any kind of spread of disease", jury foreman James Wigdel said, noting the store had endeavored to take measures to protect the community from rat-bite fever, including testing its rodents and advising customers on how to handle them safely.