Domingo, 24 Junio, 2018

Nacho cheese from gas station likely cause of NorCal botulism outbreak

A plate of nachos Lavinia Kelly: California Woman Hospitalized For Weeks After Putting Gas Station Nacho Cheese On Her Doritos
Cris De Lacerda | 19 May, 2017, 20:43

CBS Philly reported that health officials in Sacramento have connected Kelly's case of botulism poisoning and four other cases to Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station, located in the Walnut Grove suburb of Sacramento. In fact, health officials from Sacramento County claim that five other people have been diagnosed with botulism and they can be tied to Valley Oak Food and Fuel. Once the bacteria enter the system, it causes the release of a highly risky nerve toxin that lead to severe paralysis, and in some instances, even death.

According to the county update, food safety officials revoked the gas station's permit to sell food and drink on May 5.

Lavinia Kelly remains on a ventilator in intensive care in Sacramento after being sickened at an area gas station.

Kelly's partner Ricky Torres told the Sacramento Bee that the following morning, Kelly went to the hospital when she started having double vision. "And she was embracing life, and then all of it's shot down 'bam.' So, I don't know", said her mother Dawn Kelly.

Symptoms include drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness. Theresa Kelly said she picked up her phone when it rang, and she knew it was from her sister, but her sister was not able to "articulate a word".

Per Consumerist, according to the Centers for Disease Control's most recent National Botulism Surveillance Summary, there were 199 confirmed cases of botulism in the United States in 2015, only 39 of which were food-borne.

"Only human mistakes create the environment for botulinum toxin to form", her attorney told the Bee. We will use the lawsuit to learn more about the source of the food product that was contaminated.

The family filed a lawsuit against the gas station in Sacramento County Superior Court on Tuesday for negligence, product liability and breach of implied warranty. "It could be a commercially made, pre-packaged item. That's an essential question".

Botulism can be contracted from home-canned foods like asparagus and beets, but has also been contracted from tomatoes, improperly handled baked potatoes, chopped garlic, and fermented or home-canned fish.

Bruce Clark, the family's lawyer, would not say how much money they are suing for, but he says similar cases in the past involved millions of dollars. Clark did say, "They're acquiring astounding medical bills".